1.31.2010

show and tell

 

This was the first home project inspired by my painting. These black boxes have been sitting behind our sofas for three years, just like this - their only purpose was to hold speakers for the TV. B built them while in school and they used to hold dvds and vhs tapes, but have been empty. Like I said yesterday, I've been looking around for opportunities to spruce up our stuff. Black boxes become:

 
Bright display shelves!!! I went to the Paper Source today and managed to make it out with just one purchase - a great gray paper with large white flowers. Then I used spray mount to mount the paper to the back of the box and put the shelves back in with knick-knacks that haven't really had a place to go ever.

 
I got the blocks "P", "S" and one with a "Nest" last summer at an antique shop for our last names. The Jack Daniels tin is a perfect holder for our head scratcher (real thing and real awesome) and eye pillow.
  
 
I got the owl as a present for myself at the sparkly shop - aka Patina - one day when I needed a pick-me-up. Have you ever done that? The only other time I remember was especially dire and I actually had it gift wrapped. For myself. 
It worked.

Finally - the little mugs were granted to me from my mother-in-law, who really likes to clean out her stuff and send it home with us. I may have mentioned I liked these cups and suddenly they were boxed up and in the car. Thanks SMS - now they finally have a home.

I think this project really demonstrates what I'm really trying to do with the home make-over: use what I have, make it interesting and intentional, and scatter color and fun around. Really, I guess this could be my motto for life - scattering color and fun.

2 comments:

  1. You have a way of scattering fun wherever you go! That makes you special. ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm liking your gray paint and the neat paper behind the shelves on B's old shelf. sms

    ReplyDelete